History

For detailed history of the Parish between 1924 - 1974 please see:
'Another outpost in God's kingdom' The Parish of the Holy Innocents, Croydon, 1924 - 1974, Gregory Haines

For detailed history of 'Municipality of Burwood' between 1794 - 1974 please see:
Harvest of the Years 1, The Story of Burwood 1794-1974, Eric Dunlop
Harvest of the Years 2, The Story of Burwood 1794-1974, Eric Dunlop

February 1924 Fr. Michael Tansey appointed Parish Priest (d. 14 April 1939)

April 1924 – First issue of "The Croydon Record" paper – "A monthly collections, balanced sheets, events of local interest, and 'letters of a priest to his people'".

13th July 1924 – 3pm The foundation stone of the new church laid (The Freeman's Journal)

16th November 1924 – Church declared open

January 1925 - Holy Innocents' School begins its operation with Sisters of Charity

November 1924 – Sacred Heart Confraternity and Society of Children of Mary formed

End of 1926 Sisters of Charity conclude their teaching at Holy Innocents' School.

24th January 1927 The Presentation Sisters begin their teaching at Holy Innocents' School.

3rd July 1927 - The blessing and unveiling of oil painting "The Masacre of the Holy Innocents"

2nd October 1927 – Blessing and opening of Presbytery and Convent

December 1928 - July 1932 Fr. John Thomas Toohey appointed Assistant Priest (Bishop of Maitland diocese 1956-1975; d. 24 September 1975)

November 1932 - January 1934 Fr Andrew Joseph Hickey appointed Assistant Priest

January 1934 - July 1937 Fr John Cletus Moverly appointed Assistant Priest (d. 16 July 1981)

July 1937 - January 1939 Fr Vernon Michael Kelly appointed Assistant Priest

January 1939 - November 1941 Fr John Purcell appointed Assistant Priest

May 1939 Fr. Thomas Vaughan appointed Parish Priest (d. 2 June 1941)

September 1941 Fr. William J Stevens (Cardinal Freeman) appointed Parish Priest (d. 10 May 1954) (Catholic Weekly)

November 1941 - March 1943 Fr Patrick Christopher Kerwick appointed Assistant Priest (d. 1 July 1973)

March 1943 - April 1943 Fr Aloysius Brugmans S.M. appointed Assistant Priest (b. 1899 d. 1985)

October 1943 - January 1946 John Kerrigan appointed Assistant Priest (d. 3 November 1980)

January 1946 - October 1947 Fr Henry William Slattery appointed Assistant Priest (d. 26 June 1997) (audio recording)

September 1946 - January 1949 Fr Patrick Landers appointed Assistant Priest (d. 30 March 2000)

6th June 1948 – Foundation stone of Holy Innocents' School laid (Catholic Weekly) (completed building in 1952)

February 1949 - July 1954 Fr James Page appointed Assistant Priest (d. 25 February 1993)

November 1954 -  Fr Joseph Francis Giles acting as Parish Priest (d. 26 June 1956)

1956 Fr John Joseph Deely (photo - older priest) appointed Parish Priest (d. 7 October 1964)

1956 Fr Sidney Claude Moseley appointed Assistant Priest (d. 14 August 1988)

1st September 1957 – Opening of renovated church of Holy Innocents

1961 - 23 January 1965  Fr John Masters (photo - younger priest) appointed Parish Priest (d. 23 January 1965) (Canberra Times)

January 1965 - December 1972  Fr. Patrick Christopher Kerwick appointed Parish Priest (d. 1 July 1973)

July 1965 - November 1968 Fr Geoffrey Robinson appointed Assistant Priest

December 1968 - Autust 1969 Fr. Patrick B. Murphy svd appointed Assistant Priest

August 1969 - December 1972 Fr Milton Lonard appointed Parish Priest (d. 18 February 1987)

29th May 1973 - 10 November 1978 Fr Peter Farrelly appointed Parish Priest (d. 10 November 1978) [Catholic Weekly Nov. 26, 1978]

18th August 1974 – Foundation stone laid for the new Infants School.

20th April 1975 – Blessing and opening of new Infants School

1979 Fr. Hugh Leonard appointed Parish Priest (d. 5 November 2005)

18th August 1997 Fr. Michael Steve Hogan appointed Parish Priest (d. 29 August 2008)

9th August 1999 Fr. Chris Slattery appointed Administrator

9th August 2000 Fr. Chris Slattery appointed Parish Priest

9th July 2011 Fr. Peter Krigovsky appointed Administrator

31st March 2015 Fr. Peter Krigovsky appointed Parish Priest